I don’t know about you, but I could always use a few extra tips when it comes to preparing my yummy yum greens. Especially collards. I hope you have as much fun trying out this recipe as I intend to do. Enjoy!
Shelia: Today, Collard Greens are more than just a holiday treat. With this easy recipe, they can be prepared often. This is not the recipe that my Mama use to make but it is close in flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- I bunch of collard greens trimmed, chopped and washed several times
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic (add garlic at the same time as greens to avoid burning)
- 1 can of chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt, pepper, sugar and red peppers to taste
- With stove on medium heat, add olive oil to a large skillet. Place medium onion in pan, and cook for about 5 minutes. Next, add collard greens, garlic, 1 tablespoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper seeds. * * *
- Continue to sauté mixture until the greens cook down (roughly 10 minutes), then add 1 can of chicken broth and enough water to cover the top of the greens. At this point, you can throw some okra or jalapeno peppers in the pan if you like.
- Continue to cook greens until the texture reaches your taste buds satisfaction which usually is about 30– 45 minutes of cooking time. You may have to add more water and seasoning. Add as a side to your favorite dish or make it into a sweet potato salad (yummy yum) as shown above.
Try this recipe and be sure to let us know how you liked it!
Ya’ll come back now, you hear! 😀