The Fashion Files
Gothic of Black And White Trends
I love color and have had tons of fun experimenting with vibrant, bright hues in my fashion posts over the past few months. However, there comes a time when a girl has to return to her comfort zone for a while. You know what I’m talking about, right? That place where she feels totally and completely in love with both herself and her surroundings. And yes, there exists such a place in fashion.
Well, I’m here to tell you that I most certainly have returned home for this photo shoot. As you all know from following me (as I adapt more and more to this lifestyle of fashion blogger) that I adore black. In fact, I dedicated an entire post to explaining why black is my happy color. Yet I have another love, a combination of two colors that also sets my fashionista heart a fluttering… The love of black and white.
In my humble opinion, there’s nothing more strikingly compatible or more suited to balance the chi of an outfit than the existence of light and dark in the attire. It’s a classic beauty that reminds me of old Hollywood. Add a shot of gorgeous red lips and guess what you have? The unforgettable woman…aka superfly!
Last year, we published a series of posts on LiWBF called the Gothic of White. How can white be considered Gothic? Everybody knows only darkness is associated with that term. What drugs is she taking? LoL I promise that if you read the articles I’ve written then you’ll most certainly understand why the beauty of white strikes a memorable chord in its beholder just as strongly as the shadowy intrigue of black. What happens when you put two equally compelling hues together? Well, you have the unstoppable force of an outfit.
Shop the Look:
- Striped Body Con Mini Skirt Charlotte Russe $10.99
- Bib Neck Cold Shoulder Tank Charlotte Russe (Similar – Some stores carry my shirt exclusively) $19.99
- BooHoo Tilly Shopper Day Bag $35 (Similar)
- Qupid Caged Out Lace Up Heels (Shoe I bought yesterday after completing this shoot. Works better) CharlotteRusse.com $17.99
- Oscar De la Renta Oversized Square Cut Sunglasses $65.99
While the pattern mixing showcased in this outfit isn’t exactly for the faint of heart, I’ll be the first to say that black and white outfits tend to stand out in memory more so than others. At least, that’s how it works for me. Just think about the last time you noticed a great black and white outfit showcased on one of your favorite fashion blogs. I bet it wasn’t too hard of a task, right? And yes, all fashionistas experiment with this classic color combination at some point.
For this segment of the Fashion Files, I chose to dive into three trends… Brave, I know. Do you know what they are? Here’s a hint… Stripes, body con, pattern mixing, and cold shoulders. Wait, that was four things! Yes, but I didn’t want to shock you into thinking of me as a fashion victim before I listed them. 😃
Again… this look isn’t for the faint of heart. Pattern mixing is tricky, yet I feel that mixing black and white patterns is a bit easier to master than other colors. Just make sure the intensity of the whites match up and you’re good. I received a ton of compliments on this look from Charlotte Russe (my 2016 obsession along with Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters). With an outfit this busy, you’ll need to keep the accessories to a minimum. I went with a pair of vintage black heels by Predictions and gorgeous black jewelry by Sophia & Kate that I found at Burlington Coat Factory. The red lipstick is called Monroe Red by Milani. The bag is a fav of mine by Reflections that shows up in many photos. And that’s because it’s large enough to hold all my oversized goodies… Note 4(aka phablet) iPad Mini, handbag wallet, Bloom perfume from Charlotte Russe, of course… The list goes on. Shoulder problems are somewhere in my future, I’m sure. LoL I’ve included a similar bag that holds just as much stuff by a reputable brand. So, no worries.
What do you think of the trends shown in this week’s Fashion Files?
**The article The Fashion Files Gothic of Black and White Fashion first appeared on Live Well…Be Fabulous!**
Here’s a list of other thrifty deals & steals and deals you can take advantage of this week:
- Moda Operandi — Spring/Summer sale: up to 50% off select styles, including Alexis, Carven, Emilia Wickstead, Stella Jean, Temperley, Vivetta, and many more (May 17-30).
- Editors’ Clicks: Vivetta Navy Cotton Embroidered Tea Dress
- Saks Fifth Avenue — Up to 55% off selections of women’s apparel (May 18-28).
- Editors’ Clicks: Christian Louboutin Pigalle Follies Patent Leather Pumps
- Bergdorf Goodman — 5F Spring Fling: save up to 40% on contemporary collections (May 18-23).
- Editors’ Clicks: Heroine Sport Performance Halter Tank Top
- JCPenney — Online only: take an extra 25% off purchases under $100 and 30% off purchases of $100 or more. Use online code GOSHOP6 (May 18 only).
- Editors’ Clicks: Smooth Sexy Hair Smooth Extender Nourishing Smoothing Masque
- J.Crew — New arrivals, plus 25% off your order (May 18-22).
- Editors’ Clicks: Rhodes Blazer In Linen
- Urban Outfitters — Take 20% off all dresses (May 18-23).
- Editors’ Clicks: BH Cosmetics Contour & Blush Palette
- BaubleBar — Stock Up Sale: get 20% off 1 item with code STOCKUP20, get 25% off 2 items with code STOCKUP25, or get 30% off 3+ items with code STOCKUP30 (May 16-23).
- Editors’ Clicks: Wanderlust Bracelet Quad
- Serena & Lily — Get $25 off $100+ with code SSTYLE25 (May 5-31).
- Editors’ Clicks: Mirabelle Rug
**Post contains affiliate links. If you click on them and purchase something I might get a commission which in turn, helps to support this blog**