Baby Yourself Nine Tips For Dry Skin Care
**Disclaimer: Today’s post is sponsored by Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™. However, all opinions contained within this post are from my own personal experience with this brand**
Yep! Winter’s doing its thing! Frigid temperatures and strong sunlight (the sun’s rays are most powerful in the winter for folks in the United States). If you’re like me, the battle to find a skin care solution rages on throughout the entire season. I’ve also found the older I get the harder it is for me to prevent dry, flaky skin. Itch fests are a common thing in our household as my son also has the same problem.
What is a dry skin, aka eczema sufferer to do?
You don’t have to do give in to the suffering. Nope! The following list has nine tips I’ve used to keep the dermatologist away throughout the years. All of these remedies are simple lifestyle changes you can easily blend into your daily regimen. You just have to find the right moisturizer to carry you through the storm. And the star of today’s show is none other than the Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™ Lotion!
The Product. Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™ Lotion… A moisturizer that helps to brighten and heal your skin using a time-tested formula from a trusted brand.
The secret ingredient? Cocoa Butter – a super duperly important skin care element, especially among minority women.
Before we get started talking about the nine tips I’ve outlined below, I’d like to tell you a bit about why I volunteered to work with Vaseline® for this post. The Vaseline Healing Project is a partnership with Direct Relief which was created to offer skin care and medical supplies to impoverished areas around the world. A part of the money from each bottle sold in the U.S. goes to this fund. Read all about the Healing Project here. This is a great incentive, and I’m honored to take part in the movement.
Now, let’s get down to some skin care business!
1. Choose the Right Moisturizer. This is where the Vaseline® Cocoa Radiant Lotion comes into play. The formula contains pure cocoa butter to leave skin deeply moisturized plus Vaseline® Jelly that absorbs deeply to heal dry skin, revealing its natural glow. There are literally hundreds of lotions on the market. All of them promise to essentially perform miracles, ending dry skin for good. However, you need to pick the one that best suits your skin type.
For example, if you have extra dry skin that flakes during the winter then choose a lotion that specifically states the formula works on your exact skin type. Many times when we choose lotions and they seem to disappear without soothing a thing then it’s because we’ve chosen a formula that doesn’t work for our skin type.
2. Arm your moisturizer for battle. Apply a generous layer of lotion as soon as you’re done showering. The steam from your bath will help lock in moisture. It’s like having a homemade sauna.
3. Take a shower instead of a bath. I love to soak it up in the bathtub. Who doesn’t? But baths really dry me out if I indulge too often. And we have hard water in our home. So guess what that means? Bath time becomes a more of a ritualistic treat than anything else.
4. Apply moisturizer twice a day. Hit the bottle (we’re talking lotion bottle here) in the morning and again at night. Your skin will love the double doses of moisture and especially after you apply it during the most vulnerable times of day. I bought my Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™ Lotion in the 10oz bottle because I’m able to carry it in a handbag.
5. Lock in Lip Moisture. If you’re into the liquid lipstick craze like me and everyone else then you probably suffer from dry, cracked lips or flaky skin. What’s the best strategy to win this battle? Exfoliate like crazy. LiWBF will be posting a DIY lip exfoliate tutorial that tastes just as good as the formula works on your lips. Stay tuned!
6. Find the right shampoo. For years, I struggled in this arena. My mixed heritage means I can’t effectively use generic shampoos and conditioners. I found my answer to dry hair and scalp issues through using a combination of formulas for relaxed hair. Bye bye itchy scalp.
7. Use silicone-based lotions while at work. The materials found inside these lotions help to coat your hands and protect them from all the papers you handle throughout the day. Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™ Lotion works wonders for my hands too. The cocoa butter comes into play here by hydrating your hands and locking in moisture. My dry skin makes an alligator look good, so I need a strong moisturizer that delivers results.
8. Start from the inside. Take a multi vitamin created specifically for hair, skin, and nails along with a great bottle of water. A good swig of water makes me feel as though I’ve found a magic fountain each time I drink some. Honestly, this tip should probably be moved to the beginning of this list . We can use an entire bottle of moisturizer every single day and still not win the dry skin war if we don’t take care of our bodies by rehydrating ourselves.
9. Avoid rough, scratchy fabrics such as wool. Nylons dry me out and rub my legs throughout the day as well. Try cashmere/silk stockings, cotton tights, or leggings instead of nylons, if possible.
While no amount of non-medical tips will help fix severe skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema, I can tell you from personal experience that if you follow most of the steps above then you will notice a difference in your skin. Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™ Lotion is a great step in the right direction. There’s a reason my family has used Vaseline’s products throughout the decades.
What are some tips you have for dry skin care?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Cocoa Radiant™