Get Ready For Holidays in Five Easy Steps
I don’t know about you, but the thought of decorating for the holidays truly stresses me out. Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely adore everything about Christmas. Sometime right after I had my kids, the scrooge in me took a perma-vacation. As in, I finally learned to enjoy the spirit of the season. The decorating, gift buying, shopping, and all the drama that comes along with all that was just a bit too much.
And then a magical thing happened.
Nope, I wasn’t hit by an angelic spell or visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future. Thank goodness cuz I would’ve been horrified to have that happen. Instead, I became a mom and by watching the faces of my kids light up each time they woke up and found the fruits of all my hard labor waiting to be ripped open (aka Christmas Gifts and toys) I was finally able to embrace the magical It Factor of the holidays.
However, I have friends who aren’t parents and parents who’ve recently become empty nesters that sometimes find themselves falling back into the slumps just before the season of merriment and cheer begins. No worries. LiWBF has several ideas that will help you ease into your holiday groove.
1. Find Balance in Mindfulness – Yes. It might be difficult to feel happy and cheery when you’ve got so many life trials happening around you. Work, school, financial problems… you name it. One thing I’ve learned to do in the morning is a walking meditation. Now this doesn’t mean that I’m suggesting you walk around the house while humming. It just means that sometimes you need to embrace what you’re feeling so you can move those thoughts out into the open and free your mind of emotional clutter and baggage.
Why do I suggest mindfulness as tip #1 in a holiday prep post? Because the way you feel ultimately affects every task and each goal you take on. When we intentionally reflect back on our thoughts and habits and accept what we can and cannot do with equal vigor then we open our minds up to the possibility of expansion and improvement. The magic of the holidays provides the perfect backdrop for thinking back on the things we’ve done and the ways we can improve in the future.
2. Spread holiday Cheer throughout your home. Don’t just stop decorating at the Christmas tree. Place Christmas decorations in various areas throughout your home. Need some super cool and unique holiday ideas? Then check out LiWBF’s Super Cute series and get some ideas.
3. Don’t forget the holiday smells. Oh, i cannot express in words the importance of this tip. I use artificial trees. Yikes, right? However, it doesn’t need to be a frightful experience at all. There are sounds and smells of Christmas everywhere. Don’t have any time for cooking? No worries. We have a list of substitutes ready for you.
Take a peek at these goodies:
Scented Pine cones
Glade Fall Plugins Apple Scented
Tazo Chai Pumpkin Spice Latte
Go ahead and use your imagination on this one. Oh, and don’t forget to insert classic Christmas DVD. (Find affiliate link to product). I don’t know about you but I’ll always be a big kid when it comes to these movies. Play them during your free time. Invite friends with kids over. Have fun!
4. Give thanks and do volunteer work. There’s nothing more satisfying than working with a great cause such as the Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation and Ian Somerhalder Foundation. Take some time to truly give back. Good karma will shower and bless you. Need a few ideas? Then take a peek at LiWBF’s article Five Ways to Give Thanks During the Holidays for some fabulous ideas.
5. Think ahead to the next year. I take plenty of time off from my daily ventures at the end of the year so I can take time to think about the things I’d like to tackle in the upcoming year. Surrounding myself with the sights, sounds, and smells of the holiday season empowers me. Use these tips and allow it to do the same thing for you.
Embrace the spirit of the season. And it will reward you in return.
Want to learn how to start your own business blog? Does the process seem super overwhelming and you don’t know where to start? I felt lost, confused and hopeless when I started blogging and wish I would’ve known a quarter of the things I know today. Yet, I’ve compiled all my knowledge into a series called the Bloggerly Life. And guess what? It’s 100% free information. Head on over to this tutorial How to Setup A WordPress Blog on Hostgator and get started on creating a life you love today!
**Post contains affiliate links**
All images courtesy of Viktor Hanacek at picjumbo.com