The Fashion Files 17 Top Fashion Tends of 2018
2018 has arrived and I couldn’t be any more excited about the way things are going. Guess what this means? The Fashion Files and A Fashion Story, two of LiWBF readers favorite segments are back in business!
For this first edition, we’re going to start by listing a group of top trends for 2018 according to top style magazines such as Elle, In Style, and my favorite unintentional leader of fashion gurus and predictions, Pinterest! Yep, that’s right.
And we all know from seeing Pantone’s choice of color of the year, Ultraviolet, that bold color along with strong statement style pieces (includes fashion, jewelry, and makeup) will dominate both the runaway and our closets. This list of top 17 trends (gathered dutifully from my study of Fashion Week, an obsession with several fashion magazines, and Pinterest, of course) contains some favorite trends that I feel will work with any age group. Let’s get started!
1. Berets – This staple of French couture comes and goes throughout the decades. However, the trend (if you want to call it that) manages to revive itself. I adore the simplicity of the beret and can’t wait to see more of this style.
2. Statement Earrings – I jumped on this fun trend a couple years ago when clunky, avant-garde style earrings made an entrance in the fashion scene. I’m happy to see this trend still going strong.
3. Wide leg jeans – Maybe the return of wide leg jeans signifies the return of a love for all things 70’s. Or it could be that Fergie’s infamous video (yeah, the one talking about that hump thing) has finally made its rounds and lost the ability to convert fashionistas around the world over to super tight, spandex style denim. Who knows? Based on top Pinterest fashion boards and magazines, the legs of our skinny jeans are a changing!
4. Big, bold florals – I must admit, I’m a bit excited about this one. I’m boho-style all day long. And no, most boho prints don’t include florals. At the end of the day, I’m still a female and enjoy wearing feminine things, especially when chilling out and writing.
5. Bold color
– Think Pantone’s spring 2018 palette. Wanna see for yourself? Then take a peek at this link.
6. Side slits aka Kim and Khloe Kardashian – Yep, that Boho-style dress that’s sitting in my closet, the one that’s slit up to my bums might actually find some use when A Fashion Story returns this spring.
7. Long clothing in layers – Think Free People and Anthropologie. I’m not surprised this trend is taking over for 2018. I never bought into the bodycon style (again… I’m boho at heart). I’m happy to see the style I’ve worn over the past couple of years taking its official place in the spotlight.
8. Designer logo bling – Didn’t even know this one went out. Not sure why it has come back in. If you want to see this one in action, then take a peek at our new 2018 Fashion Trends board on Pinterest. Maybe that’ll help clear up your confusion the way it did for me.
9. Anything purple.
Specifically lavender and ultraviolet – 2018 rocks! Purple finally won its place in the spotlight. Who’s happy about that? This girl! LOL Click on the photo below to learn why Pantone created this special shade of purple in honor of the legendary Prince.
10. Futuristic frames – Yes, everyone can wear these. Need some examples? Check out some of the cool ones we found in the carousel below.
11. Clothing art – Again… this is something I’ve admired for a while. Etsy shop owners around the world have decorated clothing with their unique artsy style for years now. The runways finally took notice and a gorgeous trend has now arisen from the ashes. Or something like that anyway.
12. Feathers – nope this one isn’t just for Christmas trees! LoL See this post if you want to know what I’m talking about. The runways showcased feather covered items all over the place in fashion week. Personally, I think if the fashion gurus tastefully utilize this trend then the use of feathery fashion will work for anyone.
13. Trenchcoats – Inspector Gadget strikes again. Like the beret, these cuties come and go. They’re what I consider to be timeless classics and can be worn long after the runway music ends.
14. Polka dots – Ha! Those of us in the blogging world know that LiWBF has sported polka dots in its design for years. This is another one of those faves I’m happy to see in the list.
15. Sheer fabrics – This one can be a toughie to pull off. Yet, I’ve done it several times and actually enjoy wearing these goodies during the warmer months. Stay tuned when A Fashion Story returns in the spring. I’m sure this one will be highlighted in many of our Crush Craves segments.
16. Denim on denim – I didn’t even know this was labeled as a trend. I’ve worn denim jackets and denim of various types for years. The key to adjusting the trend and making it your own in 2018 is to mix various colors and textures while still keeping the layered denim effect.
17. Velvet – Love! I wore a velvet wrap dress to my holiday party and can’t wait to rock this baby again in the spring. It’s one of those goodies you can dress up or down depending on what you choose to wear with it.
There you have it! The top fashion trends of 2018. Check out even more examples on our Pinterest Board
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on something and make a purchase then I might get a small commission at no extra charge to you. In turn, doing so helps to support the maintenance and development of this blog.